1st fill up of expanders
Each week we are now going to go back to the hospital and get the three expanders in Phoebe's face filled up with a saline solution. The saline is inserted via a needle into the remote ports placed under Phoebe's skin. They are located 1) behind left ear 2) on top of head 3) right temple. A tube then connects the remote ports to the expanders.
We arrived at the hospital at 8am today. Phoebe was given a nice pink juice (aka pain and drowsy medication combined). Within 20 minutes she was not in the land of nod, but rather the land of the fairies and dancing elephants. The surgeon decided to try putting 10ml (not 5ml as originally planned) into each expander. As the syringes were being filled I did the truely supportive motherly thing and left the room! I did hang around outside the room incase I heard any crying, (although am not sure what I would have done if I did). After 5 minutes (max), the surgeon came out and said all had gone very well. Each expander had taken the 10mls of saline really well and Phoebe had not reacted to any of it. Seal followed the surgeon out carrying a very drowsy Phoebe. It took about 2 hours for Phoebe to be declared sufficiently awake (and off her cloud), to be allowed home. Despite this she still staggered into our kitchen like an old drunk. She has been a bit grumpy but I think that has more to do with the lack of fluids and food than anything else. None the less I will be dosing Phoebe up with a bit of paracetomol for the next few hours.
You can definitely see the size and shape of the expanders now. They have the capacity to hold 70-100ml and currently they all hold 20ml. One expander is round, one is crescent, and the other is oblong. Next week same thing all over again. Seal thinks he can cope taking Phoebe on his own and I will stay home with Freddie. We'll see if my mothering instincts let him!
We arrived at the hospital at 8am today. Phoebe was given a nice pink juice (aka pain and drowsy medication combined). Within 20 minutes she was not in the land of nod, but rather the land of the fairies and dancing elephants. The surgeon decided to try putting 10ml (not 5ml as originally planned) into each expander. As the syringes were being filled I did the truely supportive motherly thing and left the room! I did hang around outside the room incase I heard any crying, (although am not sure what I would have done if I did). After 5 minutes (max), the surgeon came out and said all had gone very well. Each expander had taken the 10mls of saline really well and Phoebe had not reacted to any of it. Seal followed the surgeon out carrying a very drowsy Phoebe. It took about 2 hours for Phoebe to be declared sufficiently awake (and off her cloud), to be allowed home. Despite this she still staggered into our kitchen like an old drunk. She has been a bit grumpy but I think that has more to do with the lack of fluids and food than anything else. None the less I will be dosing Phoebe up with a bit of paracetomol for the next few hours.
You can definitely see the size and shape of the expanders now. They have the capacity to hold 70-100ml and currently they all hold 20ml. One expander is round, one is crescent, and the other is oblong. Next week same thing all over again. Seal thinks he can cope taking Phoebe on his own and I will stay home with Freddie. We'll see if my mothering instincts let him!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home